Save the Date: Friday, November 15, 2013, for “See Me Now: Teens Without Homes” (9 am – 10:30 am). Preston Trail Community Church in Frisco
The Collin County Homeless Coalition & City House invite you to join us for a candid and informative discussion of homeless teens in Collin County.
“’See Me Now’ is a wonderful event that focuses on one of the realities of every community – teen homelessness,” said City House Executive Director Teresa Keenan. “Collin County is one of the wealthiest counties in the United States, yet we are not immune to youth homelessness. And these kids are at much greater risk for substance abuse, physical or sexual abuse, prostitution and neglect once on the street.”
The event addresses teen homelessness in Collin County with the public to determine how to break the cycle and help today’s youth move out of crisis and into a new future. The event includes a panel of representatives from various aspects of the county’s resource pool, including those from the local faith community and the school system.
“Runaway homeless youth is a population that often goes unreported and thus unaccounted for,” Keenan said. “We’re becoming more and more educated on the location and needs of these kids and the need to assist them has dramatically increased.”
“See Me Now” is part of Homeless Awareness Week, presented by the Collin County Homeless Coalition (CCHC). The coalition works to increase awareness of the homeless reality in the county, coordinate advocacy, facilitate information and empower collaborative programs and services.
Homeless Awareness Week
- Nov. 9 & 10 – Street Awareness, handing out flyers with homeless facts and resource information.
- Nov. 12 – Poverty Simulation: at Collin College, Preston Ridge Campus, Conference Center, Frisco (6-10 pm).
- Nov. 13 – Film: “Living on a Dollar a Day,” Collin College, Preston Ridge Campus, Conference Center, Frisco (1-3 pm).
- Nov. 14 – Faith Community Lunch: Christ United Methodist Church, Frisco (9-10:30 am)
- Nov. 15 – “See Me Now” Homeless Youth Event: Preston Trail Community Church, Frisco (9-10:30 am).
- Nov. 17 – City House Open House: Both the boys and the girls TLP homes, along with My Friend’s House (City House’s emergency youth shelter) will be open from 2-4 pm for local social services and organizations to come tour and learn more about City House’s facilities. Contact Linda Goodman (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.