Save the Date: Wednesday, November 19, 2014, for “See Me Now: Teens Without Homes” (9 am – 10:30 am). Preston Trail Community Church in Frisco (8055 Independence Pkwy., Frisco, 75035)
City House and the Collin County Homeless Coalition invite you to join us for a candid and informative discussion of homeless teens in Collin County.
“’See Me Now’ is a wonderful event that focuses on one of the realities of every community – teen homelessness,” said City House Executive Director Teresa Keenan. “Collin County is one of the most affluent counties in the United States, yet we are not immune to youth homelessness. And these kids are at much greater risk for substance abuse, physical or sexual abuse, prostitution and neglect once on the street.”
The event addresses teen homelessness in Collin County with the public to determine how to break the cycle and help today’s youth move out of crisis and into a new future. The event includes a panel of representatives from various aspects of the county’s resource pool, including those from the local faith community and the school system.
“Runaway homeless youth is a population that often goes unreported and thus unaccounted for,” Keenan said. “We’re becoming more and more educated on the location and needs of these kids and the need to assist them has dramatically increased.”
“See Me Now” is part of Homeless Awareness Week, presented by the Collin County Homeless Coalition (CCHC). The coalition works to increase awareness of the homeless reality in the county, coordinate advocacy, facilitate information and empower collaborative programs and services.
Homeless Awareness Week
- Nov. 15-22 – Social Media Homeless Awareness Campaign
- Nov. 15 – City House Open House: Both the Plano and Frisco Youth Resource Centers will be open from 10 am -12 pm, as will My Friend’s House (City House’s emergency shelter) for local social services and organizations to come learn more about City House’s facilities. Contact Linda Goodman (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Nov. 16 – Traffick 911 Orientation – Preston Trail Community Church (2-4 pm)
- Nov. 17 – Face of Homelessness Panel Discussion – Collin College, Spring Creek Campus, 2800 E. Spring Creek Pkwy., Plano, 75074 (7 pm)
- Nov. 19 – City House/See Me Now: Teens without Homes – Preston Trail Community Church (9-10:30 am)
- Nov. 20 – CCHC Interfaith Committee: Information & Connection Gathering Featuring Larry James, executive director, City Square – Custer Road United Methodist Church (12 pm with light lunch provided)